Monday, July 6, 2015

A Story of my Football Family from High School

This story is from when I was in high school. I played football and had several coaches. One coach was an unpaid volunteer. He was a 45 year old man that once played for the high school. When he was 17 years old, he was in a car accident and ended up paralyzed from the waist down, leaving him
in a wheel chair. He went on through life smiling every day and never being sad. He had two kids and a loving wife. They were struggling to pay bills everyday. He told me from time to tome how he needed to try and find money to pay bills and he always found someway to. The end of our season was a week away and he had mentioned to me how he couldn't make his rent that month and was worried. The end of our season came and all the coaches got paid for coaching. All of our paid coaches took a few hundred dollars each out of their checks and gathered it together and gave him the money. He told me this with tears in his eyes and said "I can pay my rent and put food on the table for my family now". I bent down gave him a hug and said "We're all family, it's what we do." To this day he volunteer coaches and keeps smiling, never slowing down.
Cousin Mark- Reedley, CA

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you all! It looks like we learn something every day, if we allow ourselves to. Thank you

    ReplyDelete