Monday, July 6, 2015

I Realized How Disrespectful I Had Just Been

One day I stopped with my mother at Subway for lunch. I noticed a homeless man sitting against the building wall in front of my car, but was in a hurry and did not feel like being approached, so I walked around the back of my car to avoid walking past him. As I got to the entrance to Subway,
I realized how disrespectful I had just been to him, so I walked back to him and asked him if I could buy him lunch. He replied that he was not asking for handouts, but thanked me for the offer. I said that I would buy him lunch anyway. I went in and bought our lunches and took his back to him. He thanked me and I took some time to talk to him, asking his name and telling him mine. I shook his hand and he told me that he had been beaten up the night before. I told him how sorry I was and asked if I could give him a hug. He looked surprised, but we hugged and I apologized for initially avoiding him. We both had tears in our eyes as I went back to my car.
I always look for Eddie, but have not ever seen him again.
~Katheryn

1 comment: