Monday, July 6, 2015

His Eyes Watered

I found out about this wonderful thing you are doing through Melanie. I wanted to be a part of letting this young man know that RAoK are happening all over.

I live now in North Carolina and my name is Sharon. Melanie is my publisher.

But here it it. I was fortunate in the sense I got more then what I gave.:

One day I decided to stop by Burger King for a quick meal. The drive was not far, maybe five minutes. When I got there I saw this old gentleman who had seen better days. Going inside I went in, ordered, and sat down to eat my meal.

Through the window I saw the gentleman ask a few different people for what appeared money. As I finished my meal, tossed out the trash, and walked out, I saw him approach me. This was not something new, we have quite a few panhandlers in my area. But this older senior citizen was different. His clothes were dirty and faded, in some places, torn. His hair was messy as he carried what I thought was his entire life's possessions in a backpack behind him.

Getting to my car to unlock the door, he reached me, and ask if he could have some change for a cup of coffee. I didn't have any on me. But I told him, come on back inside with me and I will get you a meal. He said no a cup of coffee was all he wanted and he would be okay with just that.

I told him I didn't have any change but if he came inside I would do so. He followed me back inside. He waited while it was my turn to be waited on. When it was time, I ordered him a full meal. I could afford $3.24 cents easily. When the tray was ready, I gave it to him. He looked at the food and then at me. His eyes watered and thanked me.

Leaving, I walked to my car with tears in my eyes. I knew something about him that he didn't know. I knew he was a veteran and had been down on his luck, my husband told me so. Driving back home, those five minutes home were vastly different. That meal I gave him did me more good than it did him I suspect. Some may call this a random act of kindness on my part I do believe it worked both ways. Without him knowing it, he gave me a random act of kindness by approaching me. He will never be forgotten.
~ Sharon - North Carolina

2 comments:

  1. Sharon, you just put tears in my eyes. Thank you Sharon for being you. I'm so glad my son's gift has been a gift for so many. Again, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Melanie told me about this I knew I wanted to post something.If I lived closer I would take him out for lunch. God bless.

    ReplyDelete