Monday, July 6, 2015

She Was Doing a RAoK

Thursday, July 2nd.
I just ran into a lady in an elevator at the hospital. I told her I loved her dress. She told me it was her "caregiver" dress. Easy on, no iron... I asked her if she was visiting someone. She said yes. Her mom. Broken pelvis and arm I think. Her dad actually fell on her mom. Both were transported to the
hospital in two ambulances. Dad has been discharged home to her. He has Alzheimers and was up all night with issues, so she was too. Her mom is being discharged today to a rehab hospital. As she was tearing up, I asked if I could give her a hug. She let me. She said she was on her way to the gift shop to buy a book. I asked her if I could buy it for her and handed her a #RAoKForEddie card. She smiled as she read it and said, "Come with me". She wanted to buy the book for me. She said she was actually buying it for the hospital roommate of her mother. She was doing a RAoK in the midst of all she had going on. As we continued to speak, she told me her Minister from her church actually died of pancreatic cancer today. She hasn't even been able to grieve that. And her brother just called last night and his wife was put on hospice. All of the sudden my issues were nothing. I hope my hug helped just a little.
Monday, July 6th.
I ran into her again today at the hospital pharmacy as I was picking up medications for a neighbor. She remembered by name and asked about Eddie as I was asking how she and her parents were doing. I feel blessed.
~Robbi

1 comment: