Friday, July 10, 2015

Family Displaced by House Fire

My random act of kindness for Eddie came about from the result of an early morning house fire on the Fourth of July that displaced a family of seven, due illegal fireworks. The blaze started outside on the front porch of the residence and then got into the attic space, where the fire extended into the
interior area of house, causing significant damage and leaving the house unable to live in.
With the forethought from my wife (Eddie’s sister Kristi) I decided to help the displaced family. Kristi and I live in town just a few blocks away from where the fire took place and because I am a local firefighter in our town, I felt compelled for my crew and I to stop by the house and check in on the family while we were on duty yesterday. We pulled up in our fire engine while the family was boxing up what was left of their belongings and they came over and greeted us right away. My crew and I were not there the night the fire broke out however, they thanked us anyways for our help. I had asked if there was anything that they needed and they said the Red Cross has placed them in temporary housing at a hotel and have been assisting them with getting rid of their damaged property. I kept asking if there was ANYTHING we can do and they replied that they were more interested in what they could do for the fire department as they were giving thanks to us, for our department's efforts in extinguishing the fire. I could tell that they were definitely struggling, so I decided this would be the perfect opportunity for a random act of kindness in honor of my brother in-law Eddie’s Birthday. So we drove to the local grocery store where I purchased a grocery gift card that would cover the cost of groceries for week and a dinner gift card that would feed the entire displaced family of seven. My crew and I returned 45 minutes later and I presented them the gift cards on behalf of myself and Kristi. I told them about all about Eddie’s story and his desire for us all to give back considering his current situation. I explained how their family, was my Random Act Of Kindness in honor of Eddie’s Birthday. They were overcome with emotion to receive the gift, just as much I was to give it in honor of Eddie.
~ Joey & Kristi Rizotto





2 comments:

  1. Thank you Joey. Your generous giving heart is contagious and very appreciated. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete