Friday, July 10, 2015

A Jump, Waters, Parking, Cookies, A Note, and Gas

On a very hot day I was relaxing in my air conditioned house, I could hear someone very frustrated on the other side of my fence which is a busy street. He sounded at the verge of tears. My son Jonas and I went around the house to see what was up. His car needed a jump and he was 15 miles away
from home with no cell phone. I pulled around my truck and let him jump his car and charge it enough to get home. I also let him use my cell to call his house to let them know he was on his way and what route he would take in case he wasn't home soon. While he was talking on the phone, Jonas went to the house and got them two cold bottled waters for their drive home.

I was traveling for work and had to pay $7.00 for a parking pass that would last 3 hours. I only needed to park for 20 minutes so as I left, I gave the parking tag to an incoming car so they could park for free and asked them to do the same when they left if there was time left.

I sometimes bake cookies and muffins when I travel to other offices at my company. One co-worker in particular, who is pretty shy, sent me an email saying that I was the only one who made cookies as good as her mom. Another co-worker told me a week before I was scheduled for a visit that "Sally" lost her mom a few weeks back and was struggling. So, even though I was exhausted, I baked dozens of goodies for the office. I placed a note at her work station that said, "I had a feeling that you could use a cookie hug, signed "In the spirit of baking mothers"." I don't know if she knew it was from me as she told me about my cookies over a year ago. :)

At Starbucks last week on the way to Sacramento, a mother and her children where pulling up to pump gas as we were about to leave. She opened her wallet and seemed to melt. It appears she was out of gas and out of money. She stood there for a few moments looking to catch her breath. I sent my son in to prepay $10.00 in gas on her pump. As we pulled around, she was about to drive off. I rolled down the window and told her. I hope that $10.00 in gas helps you out. With a bright smile, she lept out of the car waving and thanking me as we drove away.
~Valerie

2 comments: